Wednesday, October 30, 2013

300 Word response for the Shakespeare play on sunday

What an amazing show. To be honest this is my first time watching a Shakespeare play. I was

shocked, because I never thought that a Shakespeare play can be done by only 4 actors in

80 minutes. I was excited when I walked into the theater, it was so dark that I can't even see

my fingers, but the seats were not as good as I expected. I sat at the very last roll, finally the

lights were on, so we put all the focus onto the stage. The first scene seemed to be a little bit

creepy. When the three witches stood out I got surprised, not because it was scary, but the

witches were all boys; I suddenly realized that the play was in Chinese, which made me more

comfortable about it, because I can understand most of the parts, so that I can connect the play

to the textbook I had read in class. I was impressed when I saw them use the dolls to represent

some of the characters, for example lady Macbeth, and Banquo. I think that was a super great

idea, because it can express the kind of feelings that a real person can't do and also save a lot

of cost too! The way they made King Duncan a gigantic doll to magnify his position and show

how people respect him was really a good thought. After the play we had a discussion with

the director. We asked him why all the characters are male? Since lady Macbeth was a very

important role in the play, why they substitute her with a doll? The director told us that in the

early days, Shakespeare play were all acted by male; I found out that was interesting, it is totally

opposite with Taiwanese Operas which were played almost all by girls. I really love this play

and I wish I have more chances to enjoy Shakespeare plays in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment